Cabinet met to decide on the next steps the government will take to respond to the COVID-19 emergency:
New measures to slow the spread of the virus:
• Stay at home if at all possible, this is the best way to slow the virus.
• Only leave home to go to work if you can’t work from home, and attendance is essential.
• Only go to the shop for essential supplies, or to take physical exercise.
• All non essential visits to other peoples homes should be stopped.
• The government are discouraging all gatherings over 4 people.
• No unnecessary travel should take place within the country or overseas.
Effective from midnight tonight, and until April 19th.
• All theatres, clubs, gyms, leisure centres, hairdressers, bookmakers, marts and markets are to close. Hotels are to restrict occupancy where possible.
• All sporting events are to be cancelled, including those behind closed doors.
• All non essential retail outlets are to close. Essential retail that remains open, must ensure that social distancing measures are put in place.
• All restaurants and cafe’s are to offer takeaway only.
Gardai are to increase interventions on non-essential gatherings and instances where social distancing is not being adhered to.